What I love about smoothies is, there are no rules. You can create a flavor combination based on your taste preference that day, using what you have on hand. Recently, I have been experimenting with fresh herbs in my smoothies. Not only do herbs add a unique flavor, but they are also healthy greens themselves. Fresh mint is a great addition to a smoothie. It blends easily and it adds a clean, cool flavor, perfect for summer.
What goes best with mint – chocolate! I’m not talking about adding a Hershey bar to my smoothie. I’m talking about 100% cocoa, no sugar added. I love adding raw cacao nibs, because they make little bits in the smoothie, like chocolate chips. However, you can easily substitute unsweetened baking cocoa.
My Mint Chocolate Green Smoothie follows my smoothie rules:
- No grains
- Only naturally occurring sugars
- Make sure there are healthy proteins and fats
- Add plenty of greens
- Keep it vegan (no dairy)
These rules are meant to keep your smoothie as healthy and digestible as possible, while making it substantial enough to keep you full. Check out my Guide to Building a Better Smoothie for more helpful hints.
Brighten your next morning with a cool refreshing smoothie this summer, featuring fresh mint. Enjoy!
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves (about 2 stems worth)
- 1 Tbsp raw cacao nibs/powder or unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1-2 medjool dates (remove pits)
- 1 heaping handful of baby spinach (organic if possible)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 cup almond milk
- (Note: if not using a high-powered blender, substitute 2 Tbsp honey or agave nectar for the dates)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth and enjoy!