When you have a busy family, you need some go-to weeknight meals that are easy crowd pleasers. My Kielbasa with Peppers and Coco-Buttery Basmati Rice is kid-friendly and a great family meal to have on hand when you can’t think of what to make for dinner. I always try to have a kielbasa sausage in the freezer so I can whip up this easy meal anytime. This recipe utilizes the combination of four great flavors, nutty basmati rice, sweet bell peppers, salty kielbasa, and a warm butter/coconut oil mix.
Brown basmati rice can be found at any grocery store. Basmati rice is typically used in Indian cooking and has a very delicious unique nutty flavor. It is a great alternative to your everyday brown rice. The brown variety takes a little longer to cook, but much more nutritious versus it’s white counterpart.
We are always well stocked with bell peppers in our fridge. Peppers are one of the few vegetables my 4-year old eats on a regular basis. You can use any color bell pepper you have on hand, but I think having a variety of colors makes this dish even more appealing. If possible, try to find organic bell peppers, as they are one of the “dirty dozen”. It wasn’t long ago that I could only find organic bell peppers at the farmers market or at Whole Foods. However, I am finding them more consistently at major supermarkets.
Any Polish kielbasa will do fine in this recipe, but it’s always better if you can find a hormone-free, antibiotic-free, nitrate-free version. These kielbasas tend to have less undesirable ingredients and taste better. Trader Joes and Whole Foods both have great choices, but I usually have no luck at my local supermarket.
I ended up with a butter/coconut oil combo for the rice by accident. I use butter (organic, grass-fed is best) for the kid-factor, but I think a light coconut taste brings this meal together. Using coconut oil to cook the veggies and brown the kielbasa is a great choice, as it holds up well under high heat. Feel free to use Earth Balance’s soy-free butter spread if you want this recipe to be dairy-free. It is a great product and I use it regularly in place of butter.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and it brings something different to your weeknights.
- 1 cup uncooked brown basmati rice
- 1 Polish kielbasa sausage (approx. 12 oz)
- 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp butter (organic, grass-fed is best) or Earth Balance soy-free butter spread for dairy-free
- ½ tsp sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- 1 shallot cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1-½ bell peppers cut into 1-2 inch thin strips
- Cook basmati rice per package directions or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- After rice is done cooking, add butter, 2 tsps coconut oil, and ½ tsp of salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat kielbasa on the stovetop per package directions using coconut oil to brown on both sides.
- Cut kielbasa into ½ inch slices.
- Heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan.
- Sauté shallot and peppers until just tender.
- Add sliced kielbasa to frying pan with shallot and peppers and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve kielbasa and shallot/pepper mixture over rice and enjoy.