The inspiration for my Cherry Chocolate Almond Smoothie was the giant bag of organic frozen cherries I found at Costco. Smoothies are a great way to be creative with what you have on hand. Cherries are one of the most nutritious fruits you can eat, but it is hard to find them year round. It is especially hard to find them organic, even the frozen variety. Every once in a while I will find them at Costco in bulk, and when I do, I stock up. Cherries are full of antioxidants (hence their bright red color), as well as, Vitamins A and C.
Frozen cherries are great in smoothies. The come pitted, de-stemmed, and ready to go. My kids love their mild sweetness and the beautiful pink color they create when added to a smoothie.
When I was thinking about what to combine with my lovely organic cherries, I immediately thought of chocolate. Chocolate is also a nutrition powerhouse, but I’m talking about raw, unsweetened chocolate, also called “cacao”. Raw cacao is sold as “nibs” or raw cacao powder. You can also use unsweetened baking cocoa, which almost everyone has on-hand.
Chocolate is also full of antioxidants, as well as, essential minerals (including, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, iron) and vitamins (specifically, folate). Plus, it tastes awesome (duh!) and especially pairs well with cherries. Who doesn’t like a chocolate covered cherry?
I also wanted to add almonds, via almond meal and almond milk. I think the almond flavor mellows everything out and creates an overall delicious and refreshing treat for your morning smoothie.
So, without further delay, here is my Cherry Chocolate Almond Smoothie recipe for you to enjoy!
- 1 small banana or ½ large banana
- 1 cup frozen cherries (organic if possible)
- 1 Tbsp almond meal or almond flour
- 1 Tbsp raw cacao nibs/powder or unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1-2 medjool dates (remove pit)
- 1 handful of baby spinach or kale
- 1 cup coconut water (or regular water if coconut water is not available)
- 1 cup almond milk
- (Note: if not using a high-powered blender, substitute 2 Tbsp honey or agave nectar for the dates)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and enjoy!